In this article we have collected all important information you need as a new webmaster in order to plan and build your own website successfully. There are three main steps you should consider when creating a website: you have to choose a web host, a domain name, and an application to create and manage your website content with.
You can use the graphic above for quick navigation between the three steps.
How to choose a domain name?
In order to make your web site accessible via the Internet, you should choose a domain name and register the domain. The domain name is the name a visitor types in the address bar of the browser in order to get the web site displayed there.
In this section you will find answers of the following questions:
- Choosing the best domain name for your web site
- How to register a domain name
Choosing the best domain name for your web site
More than 50 million domain names have been registered worldwide and thousands new ones are added per day. It might be hard for you then to get the name that you really like for your website. Do not get discouraged from that fact, but rather try to be creative.
Remember that you can use a combination of almost all characters (letters, numbers, hyphens) for your domain. The length of a domain name can vary, but generally speaking it should be a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 67 characters.
Here are some tips how to choose a successful domain name:
- Start brainstorming for relevant to your domain words.- List as many words as you can think of related to your preferred domain name. – List as many words as you can think of that are related to the content of your website.
- Make different combinations with the listed words that are:- short, – memorable, – not easily confused, – hard to misspell, – relate to the core of the business, – sound solid to the core of your business.
Shorter domain names are easier to remember and type, and far less susceptible to mistakes: for example lottary.com is easier to remember, type than playthenationallottaryonline.com
But sometimes there is an exeption to this rule. A longer domain can be easier to remember by human memory than the shorter one – for example tbrea.com is a sequence of unrelated letters that is difficult to remember and type correctly, whereas, if we expand it to its long form ‘TheBestRealEstateAgency.com’ we are more likely to remember the domain name.
- Pick a few of these combinations that you most like for the name of your domain. You can consider combinations with words in singular or plural. If you like a specific word to be included in the domain name, think of all its forms: noun, verb, adverb, adjective. Consider also hyphens and numbers: sometimes you are a hyphen away from the dreamed domain name.
- Start searching for the availability of these domains.
- If you do business online, register your domain with as many of the extensions as available! Point them all to your site Let your name drive more traffic to your site.
- If your preferred choice is not available, do not discourage and try the next combination!
How to register a domain name
After you have chosen a unique domain name for your web site, you will have to register it.
The domain name can be registered by a domain name registrar authorized by ICANN.
Note: It is not possible for the end user to register a domain name directly with ICANN – the user should choose a registrar to do that or take advantage of a indirect registration through a hosting provider.
Registrars set individually the costs of the domain registration. A domain name is usually registered on an annual basis.
With FastWebHost you can easily check if your desired domain name is free and get it registered right away and for FREE with your hosting account.
To see how it works, just visit Domain Name Order Page and follow the instructions.
FastWebHost works with accredited registrars like eNom and Logicboxes. Registering a domain name with FastWebHost will bring you 1 year of free domain registration, easy domain name management and automatic yearly renewals of the domain name.